Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

big time

I hate to brag, but I've finally cracked six figures from monetizing this blog!

It might be fairer to say that I've cracked the '6' figure. I've now earned $6.01 in sweet, though unpaid, AdSense bucks. That future payday is all you.

With this milestone, we have finally cracked ten cents a post!

Schoolchildren learn that Charles Dickens was paid a penny a word. That may not be exactly so according to the folks at Fine Books magazine. They reckon the true number is about 1 farthing, or .25 pennies, per word. If we keep riding high on the revenue curve here at reograph then I'll continue to pocket .001 cents per word. I'm pocketing 4% of Charles Dickens' take and I'm doing it on my couch. Not bad.

If we indugle some extremely sketchy bistromath, we can work out how far that farthing would have stretched in present dollars. A farthing was a quarter of an English penny. There were twelve pennies to the shilling, twenty shillings to the pound. That farthing was about a thousandth of a pound.

Dickens made .001 pounds per word and I make .001 dollars. Today's exchange rate pegs the dollar at about .6 pounds. I'm just a bit of click fraud away from trumping the all time star of serialization. We should adjust for inflation before I get too carried away. The UK National Archives site will compare the buying power of old pounds with new. I looked at currency converters until I found one that told me that an 1850 pound was worth about 100 2013 pounds. Thank heavens for round numbers.

The conversion leaves me with a bit over a half a percent of Dickens' income per word. Still not bad for the couch. Of course, Dickens cranked out my entire annual output in mere hours.

Thanks,
  Your Correspondent

No comments:

Post a Comment