Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

gallifrey

Long experience has taught me that this has to stay a gadget blog. I know that once I stray into gadget/Tycho Brahe territory it's only a matter of time before we're all Tycho all the time. No need to trouble yourselves figuring out the monetization story for a Brahe blog. It's dismal.

I mention this only because Tycho Brahe and Doctor Who are obviously one and the same. I mention this, in turn, because a colleauge recommended 'Breaking Bad' to me a couple of years ago.

'Breaking Bad' is brilliant. It is filmed as if it has the resources of an entire state-run broadcast empire behind it. Beyond that similarity, it shares something else with the modern Welsh re- (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-) incarnation of The Doctor. The Doctor requires a companion so that the Doctor has someone to explain things to. That's twenty five percent more subtle than just grasping the lens hood of the camera with both hands and speaking directly to the audience.

Breaking Bad requires Saul the Lawyer for the same reasons. Imagine -- just for a moment -- that The Doctor needed a lawyer more than he needed a companion. What a show that would be! Dick Wolf may not have been the first to imagine  'Law and Order -- Gallifrey' but the potential is obvious. Dick? Are you reading? Call me. I'll be on the morning train to Cardiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment